So, as I reclaim the contents of the SDP from the old site, I am, of course, reviewing it to see what holds up, what’s new, what isn’t working any more. And I’m glad to note that everything that’s here still rings for me. But something’s missing… and I could use your help filling in the blanks.
We have a definite point of view here, and we’d hate for people to come looking for something they’re just not going to get and waste a lot of time, right? And though we have worked hard to be supremely supportive of everyone’s path, still… we’re only human… we have a point of view.
So I’m thinking of writing a little POV statement to put in the top navigation of the site, just, you know, sort of tack it to the front door, to alert new people of the nature of this community we’ve formed. I can’t do that without your input, now, can I?
So let’s use this post as a kind of writeboard, a way to share ideas about what should be in the POV statement. How to tell people who we are and what we’re about. I imagine we’ll keep working on this document over time. It’ll be a kind of “living document” and grow and change as we learn things and change and add new people, and etc. I also expect it’ll be a collection of pithy statements. Kind of a creed. Kind of a manifesto. Kind of a constitution. But not that heavy.
Here is the beginning of a rough drafty draft:
1. Your health cannot be measured with a measuring tape or scale or calipers, or the size of your jeans. We recommend real measurements like bloodwork, resting heart rate, blood pressure.
2. If you form and stick to great body maintenance habits, including eating well and exercising daily, then the body you achieve by sticking to your maintenance plan is a great and beautiful body.
3. If you form and stick to great body maintenance habits, including eating well and exercising daily, and your health measurements continue to decine, or you continue to put on an alarming amount of weight, you should seek medical attention.
4. Forming and sticking to great body maintenance habits is hard work for everybody, and should never be a source of shame or embarrassment.
5. You get one body. It’s not like anybody else’s. You must learn what it needs by listening to it constantly.
What else? What else? Do you agree? Is this a good start? Do you disagree? Why? Let’s write this baby and put it up there and keep working on it. Worried that I should change the name of the site now… hmm…